the Daydream Soundtrax - audio and video - July 2022 - December 2023

The Daydream Soundtrax


THE DYSX PROJECT HAS REACHED ITS CONCLUSION. AKA "The Daydream Soundtrax", THE PROJECT PRODUCED OVER 75 HOURS OF AUDIO BETWEEN JULY 2022 and DECEMBER 2023. ACCESS THE FILES AT THE DAYDREAM SOUNDTRAX INTERNET ARCHIVE PAGE. (These files include tracks DYSX-001 thru DYSX-269, plus the "Oily Fans" tracks). Click here to watch Daydream Soundtrax videos

The idea of the Oily Fans portion of this project was to figure out a way to get the DYSX stuff onto Bandcamp. Personally I hate Bandcamp. It is a cesspool of wannabe dogshit, owned by parasitic billionaire douchebag yuppies. It is for now, unfortunately, the "place to be". So to satisfy my psychological need to throw my pieces onto the Bandcamp vanity bonfire, I created the Oily Fans files. I went through the 75 hours of DYSX experiments that I'd created between July 2022 and May 2023, and grabbed my favorite bits. As I stitched it together, I tried to punch it up with volume, compression and distortion. The results are four pieces, roughly 28 mins each (time limit set by Bandcamp, not me), a "best of" the DYSX project as it were. You may access these files at the Oily Fans bc page.

The Daydream Soundtrax came about during the construction of "The Velveeta Heartbreak Sound Archive 1984-2009". I started that in May 2022. I was using Audacity to create the mixtape collages for the archive, at my local public library computer. On 29 June 2022, I got bored and decided to paulstretch an mp3 of YES "Close to the Edge". The results were mesmerizing, so much more enchanting and otherwordly than the boring old indie rock of my archive project. I was "hooked on plunderphonics" as they say.

The Daydream Soundtrax
the public library workstation where the Daydream Soundtrax were created, July 2022

The source material used for the Daydream Soundtrax is all found sound, from a wide range of Internet sources, from the earliest known recordings of the 19th Century, to the latest pop hits of 2023, and everything in-between (news, spoken word, podcasts, youtube, spotify, etc). As for the "album art", earlier in 2022, I'd got sucked into the original version of Dall-E Mini, and I decided to slap the audio creations and the AI art together (randomly) to make imaginary albums. Dall-E, remember, used the same global sweep of the Internet's visual horde to collage together its images, as we do with sound to create the Daydream Soundtrax.

The Daydream Soundtrax
A screenshot from Twitter, August 2022. The original uploads had different names. The person who posted this on twitter obviously doesn't get it and unfortunately mischaracterized the project.

The first experiments were uploaded to the IA in August 2022, but after exploring the works of other serial noise makers on IA, such as Bull of Heaven, Body 13, UB Radio Salon, (dis)PERSE Dispatch, and the like, in September I pulled all my trax and re-uploaded everything with the DYSX numbering standard. The Daydream Soundtrax is not "vaporwave", it is old-school sound collage noise amalgam, more in the tradition of Revolution 9, the Zapple albums, Negativland, Evolution Control Committee, Big City Orchestra and People Like Us. The DYSX tracks are Rauschenbergian combines of sound. Audacity is the x-acto knife, the glue stick, the scanner, the photoshop, and the Internet is the world's largest horde of old and new magazines. So here we are, July 2023, a year later, I'm still alive and giving you DYSX number "_".

The Daydream Soundtrax
I came up with the name "Daydream Soundtrax" a least a decade ago, possibly earlier. This screenshot shows my soundcloud page circa 2013, where I refer to my Magick Plastique tracks as "lofi daydream soundtrax".

Listen to the Daydream Soundtrax for free at the Internet Archive.

Back to Gallerymjb Homepage/Main Menu

© Michael J Bowman - All Rights Reserved